Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Tis the Season..."

...for presents, family, fun and libations and all this girl wants for Christmas is wine. So I have set out once again to expand my palate and illuminate my taste buds with some international varieties. I have come to love the white grape, Viognier, but I know that there are many other white wines out there. I have now discovered a grape which is a popular white in Spain & Portugal, Albariño. I would say that an Albariño bridges the gap for all those white wine drinkers who at holiday parties have the hard decision of settling between the ever now so popular choices of Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. Try something different this year. You can find some very decently priced wines (which is a plus in this economy) with this varietal. In Spain you'll find Albariño from the Rias Biaxas region (northwestern part of Spain) These are very good and have a little more body than ones from Portugal. Portugal's region of Vinho Verde is where you will find Albariño and is very cheaply priced. These are a little lighter bodied but have all the beautiful flavors of lemon pith, lime, and slight flint. So do yourself and all your holiday guests a favor this year, open their eyes to one of the hundreds of varieties that another part of our world offers and let that be your early New Years Resolution.

No comments: